Hey Grace Families!
Today we are going to learn how to fight evil.
Let’s Worship God!
He Has Won:
Jesus is Alive Right Now:
1. Cardboard (cut into a big circle as a ‘shield’)
2. Crayons or markers
3. 10 sheets of paper
Say: Today’s verse teaches us that when we trust and follow Jesus, the Holy Spirit inside us is stronger than anything the world throws at us. Let’s play a game to show that! Pretend your cardboard circles are shields!
Give each of your kids a cardboard circle and crayons or markers.
Kids write the verse (1 John 4:4… the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.) on the back of the cardboard circle, so they can hold it up and read it. (Beginning writers can just write the “1 John 4:4” or draw a picture about the verse.) Kids can decorate the front of the shield.
As your kids make their shields, crumple the papers into balls. If you have time, you can write examples of spiritual attacks on the paper before you crumple it.
Say: Okay, we’ll pretend these wads of paper are different spiritual attacks—like thinking you’re no good, feeling like God doesn’t care, or any other awful attack! Use your shields to fight those attacks away from you!
Gently toss the balls at the kids’ shields.
Kids use their “shields” to hit the balls back to you.
1. What is far greater than any evil or bad thing we face in the world? The Holy Spirit who lives in us
2. Who is on God’s side in the spiritual war? Everyone who trusts in and follows Jesus
3. God already won. Why do you think the evil side keeps trying to attack? Idea: Evil wants to hurt God—but it can’t—so evil tries to hurt us because God loves us.
4. Think about today’s game when I threw paper wads as a pretend to attack. What kinds of things does evil really do to attack us?
5. What reasons do you think we have to not be afraid of evil attacks? Ideas: The power of the Holy Spirit in us, God’s already won, the armor of God protects us and helps us fight, etc.
6. What evil attacks do you have to face the most?
7. What are some ways you think you can fight attacks with God’s power? Ideas: Pray in the Holy Spirit, call on Jesus’ name, serve, love others, ask other followers of Jesus for help, etc.
Have an awesome week Grace kids!